mercoledì 2 novembre 2016

Swedish Halloween

In Italy Halloween is considered as some sort of American/English/Creepy-and-Not-Really-Useful celebration. So, in the majority of the cases we feel it as no sense. In fact, it is not the typical globalization-commercial stuff, but it has really interesting background and ancient origins and I was really surprised about it.
Halloween, no matter how much it is ancient, has anything to do with Italian tradition, it is something foreigner that we do not really understand. But as every American-related stuff we finish to incorporate it in a way or another. We have this kind of osmosis process that starts automatically.
And in the last years the number of people celebrating it is increasing rapidly.
Personally I have been always member of the I-Do-Not-Really-Care-Leave-Me-Alone-Life-It-is-Already-Shitty-Do-Not-Make-It-Worst-With-This-Creepiness-What-Is-Wrong-With-You-Folks.
Yeah, it's a long name, we should make it shorter.
Talking seriously I am not against but not even particularly enthusiastic, also because nobody never tried to convince me that Halloween was nothing more that a commercial celebration.
In Sweden it is different. Also if it is a Celtic tradition that have nothing to do with Vikings or every Sweden-Related-Stuff, here Halloween is celebrated, much more than in Italy and taken seriously
From what Swedes told me, I can say that also for them it started to be consider in the last 20 years but it is now established, gaining more popularity apparently than in Italy. In Karlstad there were parades and I saw during that days a lot of people wearing costumes in the streets. In my university they decorate the library and instead of the pumpkins there were also mandarin decorated as Halloween pumpkins. They were really nice to see and I brought one at home... and you have imagine its destiny.

Spoiler: eaten.


Halloween's night there were different theme parties regarding it, I spent the night in a campus party and there were hundreds of students wearing every sort of costume. Obviously the very same day I was searching for a good narrative book in the library and... I went to the english section and without looking for it - i swear - I found Interview with the Vampire and I saw it as a sign from the destiny.


Una foto pubblicata da Francesca Tognetti (@francioletta) in data:

I saw the movie several years ago and I hope the book it is going to be better.
I will feel to come back to my crazy fangirling for the Meyer's saga, Twilight. My god, I was SO into it!
So, yeah, Swedes tend to like Halloween: celebration with moderation is the motto. And for the first time in my life I was able to feel it and see it happen... yes, its kind of cool... but a lot of years is to bring me to wear a costume for it.
I hope you spent a good Halloween. :)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento